Saturday, November 27, 2010

The Entering

This is a touching poem that a support worker gave me. I don't want to comment on it in any way until you're read it, and I'm also not sure I have the copyright for it and I don't have the author name, but I hope I don't get sued for sharing!


The Entering

We enter their lives, their homes.
A time of such turmoil and sadness
and we witness to the most remarkable
people that ever were.

We enter their homes, their lives
and marvel and wonder at what we see
and are touched by their courage
and their willingness to share.

We enter their lives, their homes,
hoping to make a difference in the time that is left.
Yet knowing all the time that in reality,
they will make such a difference in our lives,
that we will never be the same.

We enter their homes, their lives,
and try to imagine how it would be
if things were reversed and we would be
opening up our lives to complete strangers
on a journey that we did not choose to take.

The entering... a reverent time when we offer
ourselves and when we connect. We are saddened
but also privileged and somewhat in awe
that we are permitted to witness
the human spirit at its fullest.

No comments: